A Brief History of College
A Brief History of College
The Bijni College is situated in the sub-divisional head-quarter of Bijni province, in the district of Chirang, Assam, a historical princely estate along the Indo-Bhutan border. It is named after the powerful Koch King, Chandra Narayan alias Bijit Narayan, who founded the Bijni Kingdom in 1617. The place lost its regal and revenue status after the abolition of Zamindary system and slumped into a state of socio-economic backwardness. As the place is largely inhabited by scheduled tribes, scheduled castes and other backward communities, and mainly an agrarian rural society, it desperately needed the touch of modern higher education to bring itself at par with other places around. Before the coming of Bijni College, the place had few schools around Bijni Town. Many talented students of this locality were deprived of the benefits of college education both for lack of such institutions and financial ability on the part of their parents. Thus, the opportunities for better possibilities and realisation of their potentialities escaped them.
Keeping in mind the greater future of their younger generations, some enthusiastic and visionary citizens of Bijni undertook the noble venture to establish an institution of higher education in Bijni Town. Their dream was realised on 21st July, 1969, the historic day on which man first set his feet on the moon, through their tireless efforts, indefatigable zeal and sustained sacrifices. Initially, it was named as Bijni Tutorial College with Arts stream and functioned from the Bijni Girls High School with six lecturers and seventy-six students. Late Ramani Kanta Sharma, the retired principal of Kokrajhar College was entrusted the responsibility to lead the institution as its principal for a brief period. Then Late Uday Chandra Das, took over the mantle as the regular and permanent Principal till his superannuation. On 18th March, 1970 the foundation of the college building was laid by Kamal Kishor Sonowal, the contemporary Deputy Commissioner of Goalpara District. The college was shifted to its own building on 27th July,1971 and was inaugurated by the Honourable Chief Minister of Assam of that time Sjt. Mahendra Mohan Choudhury.
The college was accorded affiliation in February 1975 and was brought under Deficit Grant-in Aid system on 01-12-1975. It was covered under section 2(f) of the UGC Act of 1956 w.e.f. 24th April,1980 and 12(B) on 20th March, 2007. The college was provincialised on 1st December 2005. The Science Stream came into being in the Silver Jubilee Year in 1994 and was subsequently provincialised on 1st January, 2013. Now the college is running with both Regular and Honours subjects in all nine subjects in Arts and five