The Brief History of the College

 

                  The Bijni college is situated on the Indo-Bhutan border, Bijni, now a sub –division in the district of Chirang of Assam is a historically famous place.  It is named after the powerful Koch King,Chandra Narayan alias Bijit Narayan who founded the Bijni Kingdom in 1617. After the dissolution of the Zamindary system, unfortunately the place lost its former importance and glory and got reduced to a poor and backward area.The place is mostly inhabited by scheduled tribes and scheduled castes and other backward communities, the main occupation of the people being agriculture. So the place is by and large backwardboth economically and educationally. Before the establishment of Bijni College, there were only a few high schools in around Bijni Town. Most of the people of this area were incapable of sending their wards to institutions located in other towns and cities for higher studies owing to their weak financial condition.

                    Consequently, a large number student of this area after completing high school was deprived of enjoying the benefits of higher education. Some of the leading citizens together with a section of conscious people of the society undertook of the noble venture to establish an institution of higher education in Bijni town for the economically backward sections of the area. As a result of their tireless efforts and indefatigable zeal and great sacrifice, the college came into existence on 21st July, 1969, the historic day on which man first landed on the moon. At the initial stage it was Bijni Tutorial College having only the Arts stream and had no building of its own. It started functioning with six lecturers and seventy six students in the Bijni Girls High School building. Late Ramani Kanta Sharma, the ex-principal of Kokrajhar College acted as its first principal for a brief period. He was followed by Mr. U.C. Das of Political Science department who became the regular and permanent principal of the college. On 18th March, 1970 the foundation of the college building was laid by Kamal Kishor Sonowal, the then D.C. of Goalpara district. The college was shifted to its own building on 27th July, 1971 which was inaugurated by the then Honble  Chief Minister of Assam, M.M. Choudhury.

                  The College was accorded affiliation in February 1975 and brought under Deficit-grant-In-Aid system on 01-12-1975. It also included under section 2(f) of the UGC Act of 1956 w.e.f. 24th April, 1980. The College has celebrated it’s Silver Jubilee in 1994. In the same silver jubilee year science stream started. Of Course, it is yet to be brought under the deficit-grant-in-aid system. The process of provincialisation is going on. In due course of time the college has became a full-fledged degree course with 9 departments in

                      Arts stream and 5 departments in science stream. The total strength of teachers in permanent posts is 24 and contractual teachers are 9. There are 15 teachers in the science stream and two teachers in non- sectioned posts in Arts Stream. The total strength of staff in sanctioned posts in non teaching section is 10 (ten). The College has its credit,a well-staffed office and a well-furnished library.